Vineeta Singh is an Indian businesswoman known for being the founder of the famous Indian cosmetics brand SUGAR, which was started in 2015.
Wiki / Bio
Vineeta Singh was born in 1983 (age 38 years; from 2021) in Delhi, India. He studied at RK Puram Delhi Public School, New Delhi from 1987 to 2001. He obtained a Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering (2001-2005) from the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras. In May 2004, he completed his three-month summer internship at ITC Limited, Kolkata. He obtained an MBA in 2005 from the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. While pursuing his MBA, he completed a three-month internship at Deutsche Bank, London and New York. During his internship, he completed projects with the Emerging Markets Structuring team in London and the Strategic Equity Transaction Group in New York.
Height (approx.): 5 ′ 8 ″
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Black
Fathers and brothers
His father, Tej Singh, worked as a scientist at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. His mother is a PhD holder.
husband and sons
Vineeta got engaged to her college classmate Kaushik Mukherjee on October 15, 2010, and the couple married on December 4, 2011. Vineeta is the mother of two sons named Vikrant Mukherjee and Ranveer Mukherjee.
After completing her MBA, in April 2007, she was appointed a Director of Quetzal Online Private Limited, a Mumbai-based recruitment company. After working there for almost 5 years, she co-founded a beauty supply company in Mumbai ‘FAB BAG’. She became one of the most prominent women entrepreneurs in India after her cosmetics brand Sugar (started in 2015) gained immense popularity among Indian cosmetic brands. As of 2021, Sugar Cosmetics has more than 2,500 outlets in more than 130 cities in India. In an interview, while discussing her cosmetics brand Sugar, she said:
I always had a strong idea to build something with women as the primary customer, so when my first startup failed, I decided to launch a beauty subscription company with my co-founder, Kaushik, in 2012. The 200,000 women who shared their preferences beauty with us were the center of our turn towards SUGAR Cosmetics, which was launched as a direct-to-consumer makeup brand in 2015 ”.
He also spoke about the challenges he faced in establishing his company, saying:
When we tried to raise capital, we were told that digital beauty will first be a small market and that it would be impossible to compete with the big consumer goods companies without raising hundreds of millions of dollars. They even told us that the product itself would not be a strong pit, since it is a commodity ”.
In 2021, her company acquired the rights to Warner Bros and launched the SUGAR X WONDER WOMAN collection, which gained immense popularity among Indian users. On December 20, 2021, he appeared as one of the judges on the reality TV show ‘Shark Tank India’ broadcast on the Sony channel. In the show, entrepreneurs make business presentations to a panel of five investors or sharks and ask them to invest in their startups. Some of the startups Vineeta invested in during the television show were:
- Nocd Energy Drink (energy drink brand) 20 lakhs to 15% of Vineeta Singh share capital
- Blue Pine Foods (frozen food brand) 75 lakhs to 16% equity of Ashneer Grover, Vineeta Singh and Aman Gupta
- Ridebooz (urban utilities brand) 40 lakhs to 50% equity of Ashneer Grover and Vineeta Singh
- Mycosiq (skin care brand) 50 lakhs to 25% of Vineeta Singh and Anupam Mittal share capital
- Heart up my sleeves (fashion accessories brand) 25 lakh at 30% equity by Vineeta Singh and Anupam Mittal
- Skippi Popsicles – 1 crore at 15% equity by Vineeta Singh and other judges
Awards and Achievements
- Startup of the Year Award 2019 by Entrepreneur Awards, Delhi
- Featured on the cover of Forbes Most Powerful Women (MPW) in Business (December 2021)
- Economic Times 40 Under 40 List (2021)
- The Difficulty of the Difficult Things by Ben Horowitz
- Pour Your Heart Into It by Howard Schultz
- Robert Iger’s trip of a lifetime
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
- Tuesdays with Morrie Mitch Albom
- Morgan Housel’s The Psychology of Money
- Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach
- Kahlil Gibran’s Prophet
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
In the fiscal year (2019-2020), your income was calculated around Rs. 100 million rupees.
Facts / Curiosities
- While in college, he won several badminton competitions.
- In the early years of his career, he faced various financial challenges. He even did a job of Rs. 10,000 salary a month to cover your expenses.
- After graduating from business school, he got a placement job of Rs. 1 crore salary per year, but he turned down the offer because he wanted to start his own business.
- He is a marathoner and triathlete and, as of December 2021, has participated in more than 14 marathons, including the 89km Comrades Run for three consecutive years in South Africa. Vineeta, along with her husband, completed the Iron Man Triathlon. In addition to running, she practices various sports such as swimming and cycling. During an interview, while talking about participating in marathons, he said:
I started running many years ago and have probably participated in more than 14 Marathons and Complete Marathons, around a 42 kilometer race. While participating in Ultra Marathons, I signed up for this race called Comrades, which is a 89 kilometer ultra marathon, held in South Africa and had to be completed in 12 hours. It’s the oldest and largest ultramarathon race in the world and I actually did it three times! ”
In one of the years, I even won a bronze medal in that race. I also participated in the Iron Man Triathlon together with my husband Kaushik, where there are 3.8 kilometers of open water followed by a 180-kilometer bike ride, followed by 42 kilometers on foot and until finishing all that in 17 hours to obtain the metric And there have been many other half marathons and triathlons in India where I got the podium. Although I don’t consider them great achievements, I truly believe that having a passion outside of work makes me a better person. And that’s why I follow him ”.
- She is often seen drinking alcohol at parties and events.
- In an interview, he shared his mantra for success. She said,
If you want to do something world-class, you have to continually contribute your work and be patient with the results. “
- Her ‘Sugar Cosmetics’ YouTube channel has 423,000 subscribers as of January 2022.
- It has been featured in various business magazines.
- In 2018, she was invited as a guest speaker at TEDx, Pune and the theme of her lecture was “How to turn your fears into victories.”
- In 2021, Vineeta appeared as one of the experts on the TV show ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’.
- In an interview they asked him what his motto was that defined both his work and his personal life. She said,
Don’t fear bold decisions that you strongly believe in. I always wanted to build a brand with women at the center and I strove to make that dream come true. Another motto I learned as a runner and entrepreneur is that no matter what challenge we face, agility matters. Growth is not about how fast you get to it, but how well you sustain it once you’ve gotten there. “